Sunday 8 October 2017

There's Not Enough Room on Facebook

Every now and then I find myself discussing something on Facebook, wishing to express myself, make a complicated point (well, make a point that's not extremely simple), argue a case, and there's just not enough room.

Recently I was in a discussion with someone - it could have been about Brexit, though it might have been something else - and they said something like 'that's democracy'.  As if one win in one vote at one point in time was the entirety of what 'democracy' means.

Having just completed a whole scheme on democracy for work, I was more aware than ever that this isn't the case.  As they say, it's a little more complicated than that.

But it's not really possible to go into the carefully balanced intricacies of just what western liberal democracy is in a Facebook post.  Indeed, look at today's posts here at Yorkshire Mouth and you'll find one on democracy.  Could you imagine that in a post at Facebook?

And Facebook isn't the only place.  I find myself on all sorts of social media where there just isn't room to make a point, or it would completely sidetrack the discussion.

So, to be clear, this isn't particularly a blog to 'follow' (but feel free).  It's a place for me to write things in a little more detail, and then link to.

As such it will doubtless be an intermittent, rarely updated, miscellany of posts concerning just about anything.  How I'm thinking, food, cinema, music, politics, philosophy, or whatever has come up.

And if you disagree?  That's fine, but do it elsewhere.  There's always Facebook, or you could create your own blog.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment